Time Periods When Assistance is Needed
- Varies-any time during veterinary hours of operation or event hours-Generally daily between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.
- Participate in the veterinary care program by transporting animals to or from veterinary appointments using personal vehicle.
- Transport newly admitted animals from off-site locations to the shelter.
- Transport animals and supplies to and from special events.
- Provide other related assistance as directed by Red Door staff.
Special Capabilities Needed
- Must have a valid Illinois State driver's license and a clean driving record.
- Must have proof of valid insurance.
- Must be able to drive to a variety of locations in the Chicago area.
All volunteers must attend the volunteer orientation prior to transporting shelter animals or supplies.
There are two levels of commitment for transport team volunteers. Regular transport volunteers are asked to commit to one transport shift each week, and need to give at least a week's notice if they need to cancel a shift. Other transport team members are "on-call," but are typically asked to commit to a minimum of one transport every 4-6 weeks, as shelter need arises.
*Note: all mileage and gas costs are tax-deductible.
Please click here to sign up to volunteer with the animals at Red Door!